As you may be aware from our recent updates, on the 13th of August 2020, the High Court handed down a decision about the method of accruing and taking paid personal/carer’s leave under the National Employment Standards.
The High Court found that the entitlement to 10 days of personal/carer’s leave is calculated based on an employee’s hours of work, not days. 10 days of personal leave can be calculated as 1/26 of an employee’s ordinary hours of work in a year.
As such, Fair Work have updated the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS) again to reflect these changes.
This is important as Fair Work Information Statements need to be provided by Employers to every new employee either before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
The FWIS provides new employees with information about their conditions of employment including:
- the National Employment Standards
- right to request flexible working arrangements
- modern awards
- making agreements under the Fair Work Act 2009
- individual flexibility arrangements
- freedom of association and workplace rights (general protections)
- termination of employment
- right of entry
- the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.
Here is the most recent copy of the FWIS for your convenience.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out.